Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Upgrading my Microwave

I've had my Microwave for several years. recently it started acting up, by which I mean it would make banging noises. Nothing ever happened, but I was nervous. It also would burn styrofoam cups. Uh, it's not supposed to do that. Also, some stuff wouldn't cook in the right amount of time. I mean a frozen dinner that's supposed to cook in 5 minutes would take 8.

So I decided to buy a new one. It's interesting to note that new Microwaves tend to be more powerful, & have more automatic settings. Mine for instance has a setting called "My Pyramid". This is based on the govt chart for food requirements. Actually in this case it means if I want to cook oatmeal, I click My Pyramid then 2 (the setting for oatmeal) & then 1 (number of servings). Not sure this is any faster than just clicking the time.

The difference is that on my old MW I just punched in the time & start. This one you click Time Cook, then the time. So maybe it's faster I just don't know. There's an Add 30 Seconds button & a Reheat button. I guess if something sits there for awhile you can use that one.

I'd be interested in the Potato button. None here, but you can use My Pyramid. My old one had a Baked Potato button that was 6 minutes but I found that you had to turn it over & do another 6 to get it right. Of course the old MW was 900 W & this one is 1100 W. That might make a difference. I've had trouble with Healthy Choice Steamers not cooking in the allotted time. Today, with the new machine, the time listed was perfect. I'm a chicken & always check the temperature with a thermometer so I don't get sick.

So this is what I got today. Now I have to go & make chicken in the oven(the real one) for dinner , so I don't have to cook when I get home.

No comments:

Post a Comment