Monday, February 14, 2011

TV rerun shows tech changes

It's Monday afternoon (my day off) & I'm watching an ancient rerun of Law & Order. It's so old that Benjamin Bratt is on it. Anyway he & Jerry Orhbach are investigating a murder, checking out all the "merchandise" this "fence" has. It includes a Walkman! Remember those? Man, I thought those were really convenient for listening to music. Uh, except when you had to take out the cassette to turn it over or the tape unravelled inside. Or if you played a tape too many times it would start to sound like it was recorded underwater. LOL.

Now of course we have iPods. Mine now has 378 songs on it. It can hold up to 2000 (supposedly). And I can listen to everything on it, one after another, regardless of album. Of course, in 10 years it will be replaced by something else. Heck, the VCR was replaced by the DVD & now we have DVR's. Not to mention streaming video.

And of course, the "Grammy controversy" today is an independent band from Montreal winning Album of the Year. I don't have "The Suburbs", but I have "Neon Bible", Arcade Fire's previous CD. Glad they won. Especially after the "music writer" in the SJ Mercury News basically shilled for Eminem. Sorry, but rap isn't music. It's rythymic chanting. Hate it.

I love the fact that instead of another technology laden album, we have actual music artists. Not Gaga or somebody else who hides weak singing behind computerized voices & instruments. I like 80's techno pop, but realized that it wasn't musicianship as much as tech ability.

But technology changes everything. I'm going to listen to a tech podcast now. Podcast? When were those created? 10 years ago? Probably less. It's the future. For now.

No comments:

Post a Comment