Monday, February 21, 2011

USA Still Behind World in Internet Speed

I test my speed once in a while using Speedtest. Today I found it also gives world results. not that I was surprised, since I knew we were behind, but it was still disturbing seeing where we rank.

This is obviously average & it looks really bad. South Korea is #1 with an average download speed for the entire country of 37.13Mb/s. Second is Lithuania at 29.17. Lithuania? Lithuania? Then the Aland islands. I never even heard of them. I had to go on Wikipedia to find out they are off the east coast of Sweden, speak Swedish, but are part of Finland. Latvia is 4th, Sweden 5th. Where is the US? Try 35th place. At an average speed of 10.76Mb/s.

I wish I got that, but my average is 1.26. My ISP's average is 3.68. Lovely. California's average is 10.39. Looking at a list of the top ten ISP's in this country& top 10 in the Bay Area, I never heard of any of these ISP's. No AT&T(mine), no Comcast. All appear to be business ISP's. The top one has an average of 82.06. I don't need that but it would be nice if it was available.

Oh, & the top 4 cities in Cali are #1 La Jolla(not sure why), Stanford(of course), Moss Landing(marine lab for Monterey Bay Aquarium & UC), & in 4th place Cupertino(Apple-nuff said?). How about the rest of us?

No comments:

Post a Comment