Saturday, June 2, 2012

California Pushing For High Speed Rail

Once again Governor Jerry Brown is trying to push through his version of a "bullet train".  Two problems: 1. The state is broke. And 2. It will take 17 years to complete. 17 years?

The first section is Merced to Bakersfield. Uh, sure. I guess because of the geography this would be the cheapest. But if you want this to succeed, shouldn't it start in a major metropolitan area like The Bay Area to Sacramento, or LA to San Diego. That would make it a success. I just don't see a lot of use from a Central Valley focused line.

I wonder if this was well thought out beforehand. When you think of it, the Bay Area already has a rapid transit system in place. Would it be possible to utilize those lines as a start & build out farther? I mean, BART goes to Pittsburg & Dublin. Could that line be extended as high speed rail to the Central Valley, instead of a completely new line in addition to the BART line? It would certainly be cheaper. This means less track would have to be laid. I'm no engineer, so I'm not sure about any of this. I just know that waiting until 2029 won't happen, especially with California politics plus the economy. And with that date, I will never use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment