Tuesday, March 20, 2012

NY TImes To Cut # Of Free Articles Online

Newspapers are having trouble making money these days. Advertising on the web isn't as lucrative as in print. So papers have gone to the paywall. The New York Times has now cut the number of free stories per month from 20 to 10.

So if you see something you want to read, be careful. I have the Times on my iGoogle home page. But if I access too many stories, I will be out of luck way before the month is over.

Now before you call me a cheapskate, let it be known that I subscribe to my local paper, the San Jose Mercury News. This is where I get all my local news. Also tech news since this is, of course, Silicon Valley. Plus I am not a fan of having my info on every freaking website out there.

So for national & international news I visit the websites BBC.co.uk, Guardiannews.com, & Huffingtonpost.com. The first one is obvious. The BBC is the most respected news organization out there. The Guardian is a British paper, based in Manchester, famous for it's coverage of the Murdoch hacking scandal. None of these outfits charge, so they are good places to go for world info. I'm sure there are others, but these are the ones I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment