Tuesday, February 14, 2012

San Jose To Provide Free WiFi?

An article in the free Metro paper says that San Jose has plans for a free WiFi service downtown. Meanwhile 20 miles up the freeway, Mountain View has a state of the art free service courtesy of Google, which has it's headquarters there.

The system will be built by SmartWAVE of Suwanee, GA, which built a WiFi network in Austin, TX, a major tech center with it's SXSW show. Ruckus Wireless of Sunnyvale will provide the equipment. They supplied Seoul, Korea with their system. So this sounds plausible.

The deal is supposedly being negotiated. My question is, if this is in the works, why did I have to read about it in a free paper that I picked up at Quiznos, rather than in the San Jose Mercury News? And how come it took this many years to do it?

Lots of businesses have free WiFi. Starbucks, the city libraries, my local mall (Oakridge). But available over the city's core? No. Of course, let's point out that it's probably not a good idea to do sensitive, company work on your lunch break at McDonald's, although I always see at least one person doing exactly that. Still, this is something that should be done. I'm just not holding my breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment