Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Bandwith Meter Fails

Out of curiousity I installed a bandwith data meter yesterday. This is a software program that monitors how much data you use. The reason is that some ISP's are setting caps on computer usage, much like wireless companies charge you for going over the caps.

The problem is that the meters appear to be fairly useless. The one I installed was supposed to have an icon on my taskbar, so I could open it when I wanted to check it. Well, it did no such thing. I ended up re-installing it more than once. Then I shut off my computer for the night. When I started up my computer this morning, guess what? Answer: the meter wasn't active. How silly.

Had it worked properly I would have kept it. After all, I do watch a fair amount of video. Last night I watched "Who do you think you are?", a geneaology show that follows celebrities on NBC. This afternoon I watched an episode of "The Wire" on HBO GO. So that's 2 hours of video right there. It would be nice to know how much bandwith I was using. Maybe in the future someone will come up with a plugin that does the job.

No comments:

Post a Comment