Monday, February 6, 2012

Neil Young Complains About MP3 Quality

This happened recently in an interview. Young stated that Steve Jobs preferred to listen to records for sound quality. Ironic isn't it?

The problem is that we like our iPods because they are portable. I like mine because I have songs from probably 50 or more different CD's in one place.

Now one can import them in a large format like lossless, but if your iPod doesn't have the capacity, you are restricted in how much you can put on it. Mine, for instance, is 8 GB. This means 2000 songs at 128 Mbps & 4 minutes per song. Well, I import at 128, but I have a number of songs at 7, 8, even 10 minutes long. I currently have 670 songs on mine. My iPod is about half full. If I doubled the rate to 256, my iPod would be full. Go to Apple Lossless (CD size file), great sound, but guess what? I would lose half my songs.

I understand what Young is saying, but I'm not an audiophile, & the songs sound good to me, even with my upgraded Sennheiser headphones. A professional would hear defects. I don't have the ear or background for that. Eventually the cost of flash memory is going to go down. This means no more 8 GB nano's for $150. Instead, you will be able to buy an iPod with 64 GB for the same price. Think of it, that's 16,000 128 Mbps songs, 8,000 at 256, & probably around  1,000 in lossless. That would be fine. But who knows when that will be?

No comments:

Post a Comment