Monday, August 1, 2011

Future Versions Of Firefox Look Like Chrome

Tech Crunch has an article with pictures showing a future version of Firefox. The search bar is gone, the tabs are rounded & there's a special menu that if you click turns into a sidebar with things like cut/copy/paste, plus new tab, tab groups(which didn't work for me because they always seemed to disappear)& other things like twitter & some extensions. I know I don't like that!

Why does Mozilla think they have to copy everything Google does? And if they think that then tell me why I should use the copy(Firefox) instead of the original(Chrome)?

Firefox has been around much longer than Chrome, has a higher market share, has more functionality(tons more add-ons) but they seemingly want to be Chrome. They have gone to a faster release cycle seemingly so they can catch up in version numbers. After all Chrome is on #13 despite being only a few years old, while FF is only on #5 & that's because they changed the system on numbering this year. Firefox 5 is really 4.1 or 4.2. Now they want to destroy the UI for Chromes ugly barebones look. I am not impressed.

I will stick with Firefox for now because I like the browser & all it's add-ons. Most of the ones I use are security ones like Adblock Plus & No Script. The Chrome versions are inferior. And because of the way Chrome is designed(each tab is a separate process), it uses more memory than Firefox.

No comments:

Post a Comment