Monday, August 22, 2011

Who Listens To Podcasts?

I watch or listen to 2 different podcasts every week. What that means is I listen to the same weekly podcast every week. It's called This Week in Tech. it is recorded live every Sunday afternoon. I never listen to it then, but I download it on iTunes every Monday & that's when I listen to it. The other podcast is from the same company, if you will. Tech News Today is a daily broadcast, recorded in the same studio but with different hosts & guests.

Both of these shows & the others recorded by this "network" are available 3 ways. Directly from Twittv.com (audio & video), iTunes or a day later on YouTube.

There are a lot of podcasts out there. Hundreds are available on iTunes & many simply on the original sites. I assume a lot are on YouTube. But they are not in the public consciousness. We hear about Twitter & Facebook, but not these shows despite their popularity. In both the US & the UK, 16% of the adult population have downloaded one, with almost half listening once a week, like me.

Adam Carolla's podcast has been downloaded 59 million times! I've only listened once (maybe I should try again), so podcasting is not going away. But it is interesting that there is little coverage of this medium. I guess it is just not sexy enough. It is basically a radio show, except that radio wouldn't have these on. the subject matter for the most part wouldn't engender enough publicity or listeners. My tech shows for instance are probably listened to in the thousands not the millions. The advertisers on the shows are tech related, but makes enough money that they just moved into a new million dollar studio. Someone is listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment