Saturday, August 20, 2011

Firefox's Numbering Speedup Ruins Real Player

I have had Real Player on my PC for months just so I could watch Al Jazeera online. recently I noticed I was having problems. The audio was fine but the video wouldn't load. i would have a scrambled signal. If I went on IE9 it worked fine. Why? Because IE runs Al Jazeera through Flash, while Firefox requires a Real Player plug-in.

So what's the problem? Since Firefox started this ridiculous numbering fiasco (FF6 really? C'mon even the getting started page that shows up when you update calls it FF4), the plug-in doesn't work. Maybe if the people working on the project realized how much they've broken the browser they might stop this insanity. An obsession with Chrome's numbering system doesn't bode well for the future of the formerly best browser available. Mind you, I still prefer it & haven't downloaded Chrome yet (never cared for it), but it's getting harder every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment