Tuesday, August 16, 2011

TV's Attempt To Force Me To Buy HDTV

I have noticed over the last year, & especially the last 6 months the cable channels going to smaller & smaller fonts when listing info on the screen. Yes, it may look alright on a big screen, but on my 25", not so much. As a matter of fact, I can't read it, even if I stand in front of the screen.

Now maybe they want to argue that they have to do it for the plasma & LCD users, but despite the number of those units you see in the store, I would be surprised if the percentage of those type of sets in use was above 50%. I doubt that very much. My set is less than 6 years old & works fine. Why would I spend $600-2000 just so I could read scores better?

Someday I may do it, but in case you hadn't noticed, our economy isn't that good & if you want me to go out & spend money I don't need to, there better be a pretty good deal. Like a 42" plasma for a couple of hundred. And not a low end POS either.

The fact is most shows are fine on my 25". I don't need to see Jon Stewart of Dave Letterman on a huge screen. Or any news program. Football? Yeah, that would be nice. Hockey? Sure. Directv just added Universal Sports, so I'm watching Olympic sports. So again, that would be nice. But again, two grand just so I can read the scores of other events is not right. I suspect that most people are fine with the sets they have. And most of the stations that have gone to these unreadable fonts are, surprise! Sports channels. ESPN being the worst & most unreadable. I first noticed it during the French Open when I couldn't read the set/match scores because they were so small.

While I wish I was independently wealthy & could just go out & buy a massive set, I'm not going to do it just because ESPN is trying to force me to. If I was that well off, I would be attending a lot of games in person anyway, & I haven't been to a live sporting event in 4 or 5 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment