Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The Olympics Online

As a certifiable Olympics nut, I am watching as much as I possibly can. Most of that is online. Why? Because NBC in it's infinite wisdom is only showing about 4 sports.

During the day, NBC seems to show mostly swimming heats & quarterfinals, beach volleyball & some rowing. NBC Sports Network showed equestrian one day. Another day both NBC SN & MSNBC were showing women's soccer at the same time! Different games, but still.

So on to the web! Forget live action, I like the full event replays. So I've seen several hours of White Water Canoeing/Kayaking. Yesterday I watched an hour of Weightlifting. Today an hour and a half. Yeah, they're probably all roided up, although these were a lower weight class, but it's still fun to watch. Archery. Now that's interesting to watch. The lowest score I've seen in 3 or 4 days is a 7. I probably wouldn't be able to hit the target. Again because the stuff online is a full competition, I have probably watched 3 hours of archery. I doubt if all the NBC channels combined have shown 1 hour.

This is why I like the ability to watch whatever I want. I still think it's unfair to require a cable or satellite subscription to watch. Old people & college students might have computers but not cable. But Comcast doesn't care.  TV is useless. Primetime is nothing but 8 hour old swim finals & 2-3 hours of Gymnastics. I like the swimming but little girls on Gym equipment? No thank you.

And as a huge Beatle fan I finally saw Paul McCartney's performance at the opening ceremonies thanks to YouTube. Sorry, but it's time to retire Sir Paul. That was awful.

No comments:

Post a Comment