Sunday, August 5, 2012

Outlook.com Not Available For Preview

After making a big deal of creating a web based version of Outlook, I wanted to check it out. This is partly because Mozilla has announced there will be no more development of Thunderbird.

So let's check out a web based version of the Microsoft Office e-mail client. Oh, I'm sorry. There is no way to check it out unless you sign up for a Microsoft account first. 

See, this is what I don't understand about companies on the web. Do they not understand that I want to check out the product before I decide if I want to use it? I'm not going to create a Microsoft account just to find out that I would rather just keep my Thunderbird account.

But this seems to be the way the web is being corrupted. Kind of like how I have to sign in through my TV provider to watch Olympic video. Why is that necessary? Answer: It isn't. There are plenty of web sites that want me to register, & I'm just not going to do it. My info is mine, not yours. Kinda like Spotify requiring a Facebook account to listen to music. Really? I can listen to thousands of internet radio stations on iTunes without logging in. I wonder how long that will continue.

So M$ doesn't get me to use Outlook.com because they wouldn't even let me check it out, see what it looks like. Will it be a failure. Who knows. I just know I won't be using it.

No comments:

Post a Comment