Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Audio Books & Movies

I just finished watching the Hollywood version of "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo". I had listened to the audio book version several months ago, so I was aware of the plot.

This is a story that involves computer hacking as a plot point. One of the main characters gathers information by hacking computers. Yes, this is illegal & just plain disturbing. But the character isn't what I would call a conventional heroine anyway.

Of course one of the problems with having recently read the book is that it's 600 pages long, & the movie, although it's 2 1/2 hours long, probably covers a third of the book, cuts out several characters & changes the identity of the missing person ( in the book the presumed murdered girl sneaks off to Australia & becomes a sheep farmer, in the Hollywood film she moves to London & assumes the identity of a dead cousin). OK, can't show everything, movie would be 10 hours long.

Other problem is because I listened to the book as an audiobook, I have a certain idea what characters are like or sound like. That is a problem. Plus because the story is cut, some of the hacking stuff is missing although they try to show the tech used to solve the mystery. tech is always an issue in films, because the filmmakers don't seem to really understand how tech works.

Maybe I'm being too picky. I'm just making an observation. Your results may vary.

No comments:

Post a Comment