Sunday, July 29, 2012

The Olympics Online

Watching the Olympics from the West Coast can be taxing. the time difference between here & London is 8 hours, so most stuff is over by the time we wake up. Plus network television tape delays the best stuff till night.

This time around the decision was made to live stream everything. Plus NBC is using it's cable partners to show as much as possible. Although there are still tape delays, even during the day. For instance the women's cycling road race started at 3:30 AM west coast time, but NBC showed it live to the East Coast but here it started at & 7, meaning taped for us.

As for streaming: everything live & then the video replay is available soon afterwards. One slight issue is that like in Beijing, the full replays have no announcers. These are what is referred to as a "raw feed". What this means is that each country's broadcaster takes the feed & inserts there own broadcast. I wish NBC did this to the feed, because some sports need announcers. I tried to watch the men's road race yesterday, but there just was no way to know what was going on.

But everything is there. Not being interested in Gymnastics, last night I was online watching first Women's Fencing (Foil), & then Men's Team Archery. Now that was interesting & quite entertaining. This morning after watching the conclusion of the cycling on NBC, I went online & watched the White Water Slalom (Canoe). There are several of these, canoe & kayak. Again, fun to watch.

I'll probably be watching a lot of stuff online. I don't need wall-to-wall Gymnastics. That's just an attempt to make sure women tune in. I'm a guy, so no thanks. But I do like to watch sports I never see any other time.

No comments:

Post a Comment