Tuesday, July 3, 2012

iGoogle To Be Discontinued

If iGoogle is your homepage (like it is mine), it was announced today that it will end in November of next year. Supposedly this is because of all the apps that do the same thing.

The main problem with this is that I'm not using a smartphone or an iPad. This is on my desktop. Once again, a software company forgets that not everyone uses a smartphone. Some of us actually have real computers.

Now yes, this is a year and a half down the road. But still, why do this? This is once again this mistaken notion that the desktop will cease to exist. This is a mistaken notion. Why go this route?

There are other desktop programs like iGoogle. Netvibes comes to mind. The reason I use it is because I can have all these sites that I use on a regular basis without having to create a huge number of bookmarks. Plus all these sites are on my home page & I can click on a gadget instead of having to go through a bunch of menus to access them.

Again this is explained by apps on Android. But I don't have a smartphone. This is my computer. But Google doesn't understand that. they simply want to make everyone get a smartphone I guess. I'm guessing there will be a backlash. But there are still those that think the future is smartphones. Sorry, I like my 18" monitor. I have no intention of going to a 3" screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment