Monday, September 26, 2011

Spotify Denies Non-Facebook Users Access

In what can only be described as yet another internet company shooting itself in the foot, the Swedish music streaming site Spotify has announced that users in the US can only use it if they are registered with Facebook.This may be the most outrageous, offensive, indefensible requirement I have ever seen for an internet program. Under what possible defense does this organization say that if you are not a Facebook account holder you are not welcome? This may work in Europe but it doesn't work here.

This may be part of the agreement to integrate it with the social site, but it has already created a large backlash. The number of posts & responses on various tech sites attacking this plan is quite large. Part of the problem is some users don't want all their music listening showing up on their page. Privacy has always been an issue anyway. It's the reason I deleted my Facebook account a year ago & why I haven't started a Google+ account.I guess I will never use Spotify because of this highly questionable scheme.

Did the people running Spotify not learn anything from the Netflix debacle? People wanted to at least try out Spotify, but not with a demand that you have to use Facebook. Just a bad idea. Again like Netflix demanding you have separate accounts to watch DVD's & streaming. I would suggest that the justice department investigate this because it would appear that money either did or will change hands. It's disgraceful. It would be like being required to own a mac to use iTunes. Or being required to show proof of voter registration to watch a debate on TV.

I wanted to check it out, but nope, not gonna happen. Would like to send them an e-mail but I would probably get in trouble for telling them what I think of their repulsive decision to spit on US music fans. Stick to Pandora or iTunes.

No comments:

Post a Comment