Sunday, September 4, 2011

Constant Updates Of Software

Seriously. What is this all about? Firefox went to this idiotic rapid release schedule that breaks extensions, & that wasn't enough. So I went from Firefox 4 to Firefox 6 in what 3 months? And now I'm on ...wait for it..6.0.1. Really? Not 7? Next September we will be on, what Firefox 20? Do you know how stupid that sounds?

Now we go to Apple. I ignored all the reminders to update iTunes for over a year. It has a bad rep for breaking stuff. It loses your library, it doesn't download properly, it won't allow iTunes to even open. So I didn't update. Finally I gave in & said "fine. Do your worst." Nothing bad happened. But get this. Two weeks after going from iTunes 9.2 to 10.4 guess what? 10.4.1 is available! No bleep. Could we not have updates every two minutes. I really don't like doing this constantly. It becomes that's all you ever do.

And of course, iTunes has the worst system. Instead of a simple update, it insists on downloading the entire program again. That's a huge update since iTunes is the most bloated program there is. Winamp is 50 MB, iTunes is 150 MB. Why? Well half is Quick Time. Thanks Steve for not using Flash. Plus why can't the store be on the web instead of part of the program?

Then there's security software. My antivirus updates every freakin' day! My anti malware program, the same thing. Again it seems like all I ever do is update software & I don't have that much on my computer. Even Windows updates once a week. But at least they only do it when you turn off the machine.

Do you realize how much of a strain this is on your system? I don't. But I guarantee you it can become a problem. I chuckle at work when I see one of the thousands of computers with a pop up asking to download an update. The work computers run a combination of 2000 & XP depending on the program running & for security reasons IT won't allow updates or downloads. That's why a major tech company is running IE6.

There has to be a way to cut down on all the updates. It impacts our use of our computers.

No comments:

Post a Comment