Thursday, September 29, 2011

Amazon's New Kindles-Cheaper But Better

I have thought about buying a Kindle for awhile but didn't because of the price. The general opinion is that the price point to get the general public is under $100. That's for most things. So Amazon has multiple Kindles at that price.

The Kindle is $79 with ads (used to be $114), $109 without. No keyboard, just an onscreen version. But this is an e-book reader not a laptop. You're not going to be e-mailing or blogging anyway.

The Kindle Touch is $99 with ads, $139 without. No buttons for turning pages. The 3G version is $149 with ads, $189 without. Download books when you have access to WiFi, don't need this.

The Keyboard Kindle is just that. Has a physical keyboard & is $99 with ads, same price as the Touch. Go with the Touch instead.

The Kindle Fire is a good competitor to the iPad except it uses LCD instead of e-ink, thus tires your eyes. And I have a full computer don't need it.

So I'm torn. If I get one, do I buy the super cheap $79 version or go for the $99 touch. That seems to be the recommended one. Never having had one, I'm just not sure. partially because I don't know how easy it will be to get books on either version, how I negotiate the screen. Can I connect it to my computer to download books, since I don't have WiFi in my house? Unfortunately even the Amazon Kindle store doesn't say. That would be nice, so I will search around until I find out. Looks good though.

No comments:

Post a Comment