Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Avast! Flops & NBC Fails Political Stream

There is something about anti-virus software. It doesn't like me. I used to use Avira until it started misreading Microsoft updates. Namely it started listing nonexistent problems under the name "hidden objects". Not just a couple, but rather 70 or so. This is when I switched to Avast!

Today Avast! decided it didn't want to update anymore. It had, up until now, been more reliable at updates. Sometimes Avira would go days without updating. Avast! would do it as soon as I started up my system. Until today. And I couldn't do it manually either. And when I went on Avast! forums, there were a ton of people with the same issue.

This is the problem with software. I usually ignore iTunes updates because of their reputation for screwing things up & now my anti-virus is doing it. I will keep my eyes open to see what happens.

Then there's NBC. Tonight there was a presidential debate. There is no question that this should have been streamed on all stations broadcasting the event. But NBC & MSNBC weren't, or at least I couldn't find a way to do it on either website, using multiple browsers. Why is this even an issue? I finally found it being streamed by CNN. Makes sense they would have it, but what was NBC's problem? Old media sometimes has problems with new technologies, but this is just silly. There is no excuse for this. If it's a way to force you to have to watch it the traditional way, sorry, that doesn't cut it. Huffington Post was streaming it. How I don't know. I assume they had a deal with one of the cable channels.

This should not happen & these broadcasters have to realize that they have to serve all possible viewers in as many ways as possible. Hopefully by the election, they will have it figured out.

No comments:

Post a Comment