Sunday, September 2, 2012

Confused TV User Overthinks Tech

While listening to "The Tech Guy" I heard a caller who had a problem that was not helped by the host. Now I love the shows on TWIT. They are very informative & quite entertaining. The host Leo Laporte, however made it more difficult than it was.

The caller's problem was a soundbar that was blocking the infrared light on his flatscreen. So Leo & his guest, a home theater expert were trying to come up with high tech solutions, when a low tech one would have worked.

It's not spending lots of money on a "IR lifter", whatever that is. It's simply making sure the cable box is at a high enough level that the soundbar doesn't block it. I mean the soundbar isn't 5' tall.

My setup is this: My old 25" tube TV is on a TV stand. It sits on top. Then beneath that are 2 shelves behind a glass door. My Directv box is on the higher shelf. No soundbar would block the signal. The lower shelf has the DVD player & the VCR. Yeah, I'm old school. The VCR would probably be blocked, not sure about the DVD player. This is probably the setup for most people.

My cousin has his flatscreen on a built in shelf. It's big enough that the cable box & blue ray sit next to it on the shelf. Again, this is probably a regular setup. And of course, some people have the flatscreen hanging on the wall, with the cable box below it. Most people therefore don't have a problem with blocked signals.

It's just that people will overanalyse how to fix something. Happens all the time. just because it's tech doesn't mean you need a tech solution. Of course I don't have a soundbar. I have a cheap home theater system ($50 at Walmart) with the speakers on either side of the TV. Works like a charm & has for several years.

No comments:

Post a Comment