Sunday, August 29, 2010

Who called my secret number?

It's always a mystery when someone calls that you don't know. It's even stranger when they call a number you've never given out. First things first. My home phone is set up with an answering machine. This way I can monitor my calls. I listen to the person leaving the message before answering. Nine out of ten times it's a telemarketer. Sorry, not answering. They don't understand the words "sorry, I'm not interested". But I also get a lot of what I call "ghost calls". The phone rings, the answering machine picks up, & either they hang up as soon as my message comes on, or they wait until the beep, & then they hang up. And sometimes it shuts off without hanging up. Very odd. but that's technology.

Then today, I decided to check my cell phone to see if I needed to charge it. See, I have a prepaid phone. This means I don't have a monthly fee to Verizon or AT&T. I can't afford to pay $60 a month plus data fees when I barely use the phone. So instead I have this cheap cell that I put a $30 card on every 3 months. Nobody, & I mean nobody knows this number. I have never given it out to anybody. Not friends, not relatives, not my employer.

So I go to check my phone this morning to find that someone tried to call me at 8:30 while I was taking a shower. Who? It was my area code, but I didn't recognize the number, & like I said no one has my number. Then I looked, & it said I missed a call on July 1. Uh, again-who?

Technology is great, but that doesn't mean I want mystery people calling a number I haven't given out. heck, I don't want them calling my home phone. So while cell phones can be good for someone on the go, or just for emergencies, I wonder if businesses are now making robot calls to cell phones. Since you get charged for answering calls, I consider this to be beyond the pale. This is the cell phone equivalent of spam. Do we now need spam filters on our phones?

No comments:

Post a Comment