Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Firefox add-ons: The good, the bad & the useless.

One of the reasons Firefox is the 2nd most popular browser in the world is the extensions you can add. Every one wants to be an individual, & with Firefox you can. Every person who uses it has a different version, based on what extensions you have. Some people have 50 different add-ons, some 25. I have 4. My 80+ year old neighbor probably doesn't know what an add-on is, but he does run Firefox.

Over the years, I have experimented with probably 20 different add-ons. My personal take is that maybe half of the ones on the official site work. My big two are the same as everyone else. No Script & Ad Block Plus. I have one called StatusBar Ex, which tells me how much RAM is being used at any time. Yeah, there are other ways to find this out, but this sits on my status bar & I see it just by lowering my eyes down there, instead of trying to figure out where System Information is in Windows 7.

And right now I'm using Scribe Fire to write my blog. Great little program that splits your screen in half. Top half is the website you are on, the bottom half is the blog editor. This way, you can read a site & comment on it at the same time.

Thats the good. Now to the bad. Extensions that sort of work like Reminder Fox, which for me would remind me that something was happening at some time. It just wouldn't tell me what. No matter what I did, I couldn't get it to save what I was listing. As opposed to non-official add-on Remember the Milk, which works perfectly.

Or Foxy Tunes, always recommended by AMO, despite it never working for me. What I wanted was something that would tell me what I was listening to at any time, like itunes mini player, which BTW, doesn't work on Windows 7, after working perfectly on XP. Come on Bill & Steve!

And finally, the useless. Add-ons that just don't work, for whatever reason. This morning I finally downloaded Fox-TV. Yuck. As useless as the actual network. Supposedly allows you to watch tv from around the world. Well there are channels listed, but every one I went on said "broken channel", with a blank page. Nice going. I suggest you go back to programming school & learn to write extensions properly.

Lots of people run toolbars & editing add-ons. I have no interest in that. I am not a big geek. I just like having a little bit of extras. Security stuff to protect me & my computer. Stuff that tells me whats going on. The stuff like direct toolbars so I can write something for Digg or Twitter. No thanks. But I'm sure there are people that use these. It's whatever you want your browser & your computer to do. And that's what I like.

No comments:

Post a Comment