Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Spreadsheet woes.

I wanted to use a spreadsheet to balance my checkbook. Sounds simple, right? Guess again. It doesn't matter which one you use because all spreadsheets are based on Excel anyway. Open Office Calc saves in Excel 97-2003 format. I've never used Gnumeric, but I'm sure it probably does the same thing.

Here's what happened to me. And BTW, it's happened on both Excel & Calc. You type in the amount of a check you wrote, & the freaking spreadsheet rounds off to the next dollar. Why? It's my spreadsheet, I wrote the check. I think I know what I paid. Why is this even an issue? How am I supposed to balance my checkbook this way if the spreadsheet is going to screw up the check amounts.

Computer programs are great when the do what you them to. The problem is programmers who write code that does it's own thing. Same with Word. I can write the name of a website or even a person, & have the word processor decide, sorry, that's an incorrect spelling. Maybe it is, but maybe the company or person has a different spelling. You know how many different ways there are to spell my last name? Probably between 5 & 10. Maybe more.

It just seems that the computer should make life easier, not a royal pain in the u-no-where.

1 comment:

  1. Try changing the format of the cell. It's got your value internally and is just displaying a different value due to formatting.

    If you're entering it as a number (i.e. no dollar sign), and your number formatting is to only display whole numbers, that would be your problem. Excel has a currency format you can/should be using that keeps all currency values at two decimal places and will insert the currency sign and commas appropriately.

    I've used both Excel and Calc extensively and never come across this behavior as a default; that's what makes me think you have changed the formatting at some point. :)

    ReplyDelete